Friday, January 2, 2015

The "This is Not a Dating Blog" Post

As a single, single, single lady, I notice that a lot of the "single" opportunities, advertising, media mentions out there are really about ending my singleness, not celebrating it. If you don't know, there is even a television show out there with the same name as this blog - #he Singles Project. This Bravo production could just as easily be named the Hook-Up and Marriage Project.

Are all singles just mindless dating machines? Do we actually do or think about anything except the next hook-up? My God! If you cut us, do we not bleed!?

Along these lines, I wanted to pull a Top 10 list from Google to prove my point that all that is out there for/about Singles is dating websites and blogs. I was pleased to see that I've taught my Google better than that. Here are the Top 10 links I got back on my search.

Dear Google,

Tell me about "single."

Love,
Betty

~~~~~~~~~

Dear Betty,

Got you covered, kid. I think you might like the following:

1. Meetup.com local singles group.
2. Wikipedia page for: single (music)
3. Datehookup.com
4. Google map of local businesses that somehow relate to the search word, for instance, Nanotechnologies.
5. Seattle Times article: "Sorry, guys, Amazon's not why you're single."
6. Dictionary.com definition for single.
7. Yelp search page for: How's the single life in Seattle?
8. Seahawks Single Game Tickets.
9. "The High Price of Being Single in America." (theatlantic.com)
10. "In Defense of Single Motherhood." (nytimes.com)

Love,
Google

PS. You might also enjoy: "Being single and lonely are not the same thing." (slate.com)

~~~~~~~~~

So, in the spirit of my own approach to singleness, I propose that 2015 is about more than just dating or who to date or complaining about not having a date. If you've been reading, you'll note we rarely discuss this aspect of our lives anyhow. A single life is a full one, full of fashion, friends, family, finances, fun... as well as the other f-word it is usually associated with.

<3 Betty <3

No comments:

Post a Comment